Social Icons

Saturday, November 30, 2013

In Search of the Little Things

Thankgiving: a time to remember everything that we are thankful for. This holiday comes every year, along with all the great food and fellowship of those we love. As much as I love the idea of Thankgiving, I can't help but think about how we should be thankful all year round. Last year I was given the book "One Thousand Gifts" by Anne Voskamp and while I have not yet finished it, I have already learned a lot about the art of being grateful.

If you haven't read the book, definitely pick up a copy! The main theme of the book is how Anne tries to come up with 1000 things that she is thankful for every day (I think it's every day....I wasn't very clear on that). I have found that, although I have not gotten very far into the book yet, I have already been able to incorporate a lot of her points into my daily life. While at work I find myself counting to try to get me through the day.

  • Running at work to try to keep up with appointments....thankful for a healthy body to keep up with the schedule.
  • Angry donors who blame me for not letting them donate to earn money for their baby's diapers....thankful for a job for both myself and my husband.
  • Coworkers talking about their life struggles; lack of direction, hopelessness...thankful for the hope I have in Jesus Christ.
  • Hunger pains when breaks get missed....thankful for food in the breakroom for when I catch a minute.
  • Cold winter mornings...thankful for a warm coat and gloves.
  • Unhappy about leaving my daughter with someone else on days I work....thankful for a Godly babysitter who cares for my child as if she were her own. 
  • Trying to remember my long "to do" list that is waiting for me when I get home from work...thankful for a place to call home with a loving husband and joyful baby girl.
Focusing on what I am grateful for totally changes my outlook on life. As much as I like to think that I am a positive person, I definitely complain a lot, but I want to change that about myself. I don't want to be known as the grumbler, negative, complaining woman and mother. I want to be know as someone full of life; always searching for some way to uplift another, thanking the Lord for His blessings, finding a way to enjoy life to its fullest. 

God gave us a whole world to be enjoyed, why not enjoy every part of it? From the small blades of grass to the tiniest dew drop in the cool mist of the morning. I challenge you to search for the little things in life to thank God for; lead a life of joy as you thank God for the things around you. Happy Thanksgiving from my family to yours!

-Ruth



No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text

In home services available in the Chicago area. Also available by phone.