Social Icons

Monday, July 15, 2013

The Updo: I don't know what I want!

Wedding season upon us and there may be a need to style our hair that is a little more than our everyday fashion.  It is not out of the question to add some curls and frills for something important like a banquet, wedding, or another important life event.

At your scheduled hair appointment, it helps if you bring in pictures of what you are thinking to at least give your hair stylist a starting point.  Even if the whole style is not what you are looking for, you can tell us what you like and don't like.  I always seem to be inspired if my client has a picture of the outfit they are wearing to the event.  It is much easier having more information than not.  If you just have no idea what you want, this post is for you!

Here are some questions/items to consider:
1.  Schedule a little extra time around your appointment as a buffer.  Before any service, your hair stylist will conduct a consultation.  If you don't know what you want, it may take a little longer until you are able to decide on a direction to which you want to go.  This is just something to be aware of so you do not get in a pinch for time.

2.  What event are you going to?  A casual wedding verse a very traditional wedding will make a difference for your updo.  A graduation is different than a conference where you are winning a highly noted award.  Are you going to be outside or inside for this event?  This will be the perfect starting point.

3.  Simple is always best.  Keep your thoughts basic.  Do you like curls?  Do you like straight and sleek?  Do you want something a little bit trendy?  Do you want bangs or hair around your face left down or will that drive you nuts?  Do you like volume or would you rather a slightly sleeker design?

4. A basic style can be enhanced by curls, braids, twists or other designs.  These are the perfect accent to any style.  A simple rope braid or twisty can add a elegance and flair to any simple updo.  Do you have any hair pieces like clips or headbands that you want us to incorporate?

5. Never be afraid to ask your hair stylist to tweak a section if you aren't feeling it.  I have had clients that call themselves picky.  And they are, but in the end it is about making YOU happy.  I will do my best to cater and work hard in creating a beautiful look that suits you and the occasion.

Coming in a day early for her client consultation made a huge difference in how I approached this hairstyle.    My client has naturally curly hair.  Since we highlighted her hair prior to the updo--we washed and blew her hair straight.  Her mom had an idea in her head of how she wanted her daughter's hair to look for her graduation.  She explained it to me and then I was able to translate that just as she wanted.  I did add my own flair in the back section in the movement of curls and how I pinned them. 
My dear friend Jessica had a wedding to attend this past Saturday.  Prior to me doing a consultation, she sent me a picture of a style she wanted to do.  I had a good idea before seeing her hair of what style she was wanting to achieve.  In the picture, the front was parted and left some hair down framing the face.  After seeing her dress, I asked if she would be willing to try something different.  She was open to it bringing the front of her hair out back instead of parting it.  Her dress was very classic style and by eliminating the part and moving it off to the side, we were able to keep consistent with the theme of her outfit and soften the updo's design.  

Coming to get your hair done should be a fun and exciting trip to the salon.  I hope this helps give you some direction when you are uncertain of the look you are needing/going for in your style.  There is nothing I love more than a client who participates actively in the consultation, is open to me suggesting and creating some variation, and in the end seeing a big smile on their face.  It is rewarding as a client and as a hair stylist.

Beauty knows no limits.....
Catie Manning, Hair Stylist

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Sample text

Sample Text

Sample Text

In home services available in the Chicago area. Also available by phone.